Pattern Recognition can be defined as the classification of input signals
in different classes, depending on their characteristics.
For that, it is necessary to separate those really significant
properties from those that are irrelevant details for the classification.
Applications of these techniques are numerous: handwritten text and music
recognition, teledetection, speech recognition, fingerprint
recognition, biomedical signal analysis, etc.
There are two main approaches to Pattern Recognition:
- geometric or statistical methods, in which the signal is described in terms of a set of
characteristics (number of curves, number of holes, etc);
- structural or syntactic methods, in which the signal is described in terms
of the relationship between its components.
The main worklines of our group are:
- Fast nearest neighbor (NN) search algorithms for metric spaces
This classifier assigns a sample the class of its
nearest neighbor. We have algorithms for finding NN that
do not require a vector representation of objects. They are specially
suitable for tasks where the
distance between two objects is computationally demanding, e.g. the
- Classification rules based on neighborhood
The NN rule and the k-NN rule define a neighborhood
around the sample. We have developed alternative
neighborhood definitions, like the k-NSN rule, that uses the candidates to NN in
a fast search algorithm.
- Combination of classifiers
There are many ways of combining classifiers for obtaining better results, such as
fusion of outputs, using different training sets or different feature
sets, or ways of training weights for classifier output combination.
- Application of pattern recognition techniques to:
- handwritten character and music recognition
- classification of marble textures
- music style, genre, and author classification
- recognition of music melodies
- robot vision and grasping
Associations and other PR groups:
- International Association for Pattern Recognition (IAPR) www.iapr.org
Asociación Española de Reconocimiento de Formas e Inteligencia Artificial, AERFAI (spanish association for pattern
recognition and artificial intelligence)
Pattern Recognition and Human Language Technology group at Polytechnical University of Valencia
Computer Vision Group at Universitat Jaume I
Computer Vision Center at Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona